PSYE413 Psychodiagnostics: Children
The aim of the course is to introduce students to psychodiagnostic in children. Students will acquire basic knowledge of methodological requirements for conducting a child psychodiagnostic assessment and of basic groups of psychodiagnostic instruments. Special attention will be paid to interview and interviewing (parent interview and social history / background information and child clinical interview); observation methods and use of child play for assessing child development; drawing techniques. Students will learn how to apply some psychodiagnostic instruments with children in assessing cognitive functioning, intelligence, child development.
The course is meant to provide students with only a sampling of child and family assessment experiences across contexts and is not meant to be a comprehensive review of all social, behavioral and emotional assessment methodologies that may be used with children. Acquiring knowledge and skills in administrating psychodiagnostic instruments has limitation due to cultural and national use of such tools.
Integrated diagnostic skills will be developed through training practical skills, testing, scoring and interpretation of test data, demonstration and use of the various diagnostic tools, report writing.
доц. Маргарита Станкова д-р
гл. ас. Надя Колчева д-р
Описание на курса:
Students will acquire knowledge of:
? the importance of assessment
? the different stages of the psychodiagnostic processes
? the key principles relevant to conducting psychological assessments with children and their families
? basic groups of psychodiagnostic instruments for child assessment
? observation as a method
? interview and interviewing
? children drowings
? Acquire skills necessary for various stages in the diagnostic process (from intake to integration of findings)
? Develop skills in integrating assessment data into meaningful and understandable written reports
? Develop observation skills
? Develop interviewing skills
• developmental psychology,
• experimental psychology,
• psychological measurement,
• personality psychology,
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
• Campbell, J. M., & Kamphaus, R. W. (2006). Psychodiagnostic Assessment of Children: Dimensional and Categorical Approaches. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons,
• Greenspan, S.I. (2003). The Clinical Interview of the Child (3rd Ed.). Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Press.
• Merrell, K.W. (2008). Behavioral, Social and Emotional Assessment of Children and Adolescents, 4th edition. New York: Taylor & Francis.
• Sattler, J.A., & Hodge, R.D. (2006). Assessment of children: Behavioral, social and clinical foundations (5th ed.). San Diego: Jerome M. Sattler Inc.
• Adapting educational and psychological tests for cross-cultural assessment / edited by Ronald K. Hambleton, Peter F. Merenda, Charles D. Spielberger, LAWRENCE ERLBAUM ASSOCIATES, PUBLISHERS, 2005
• Barbour, K. A., & Davison, G. R. (2004). Clinical interviewing. In S.N. Haynes (Ed.), E.M.
• Cohen, R.J. & Swerdlik, M.E. (2010). Psychological testing and assessment: An introduction to tests and measurement, (7th Edition). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill Higher Education
• Dana, R. H. (Ed.) (2000). Handbook of Cross-cultural and Multicultural Personality Assessment. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
• Essentials of psychological testing / Susana Urbina. (2004). John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.
• Groth-Marnat, Gary. Handbook of psychological assessment / Gary Groth-Marnat.—4th ed.
• Heiby (Ed.), & M. Hersen (Series Ed.), Comprehensive handbook of psychological assessment: Vol. 3. Behavioral assessment. New York: Wiley.
• Heiby, E. M., & Haynes, S. N (2004). Introduction to behavioral assessment. In S.N.
• Hersen, M. (Ed.), (2006). Clinician’s Handbook of Child Behavioral Assessment. Burlington, MA: Elsevier.
• Kamphaus, R.W., & Frick, P.J. (2005). Clinical Assessment of Child and Adolescent Personality and Behavior, 2nd Edition. New York: Springer.
• Kamphaus, R.W., & Campbell, J.M. (2008). Psychodiagnostic assessment of children: dimensional and categorical approaches. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
• Kronenberger, WG & Meyer, RG. (2001). The child clinician's handbook, 2nd edn, Allyn & Bacon, Boston.
• Mash, E. J., & Barkley, R. A. (Eds) (2007). Assessment of Childhood Disorders (4th Ed.). New York, NY US: Guilford Press.
• Miltenberger, R. G. (2008). Graphing behavior and measuring change. In, Behavior Modification: Principles and Procedures (pp. 47-72). Thomson, Wadsworth.
• Morrison, J., & Anders, T.F. (1999). Interviewing Children and Adolescents: Skills and Strategies for Effective DSM-IV Diagnosis. New York: Guilford.
• Miltenberger, R. G. (2008). Observing and recording behavior. In, Behavior Modification: Principles and Procedures (pp. 22-46). Thomson, Wadsworth.
• Nelson R.O.& S.C. Hayes (Eds.), Conceptual Foundations of Behavioral Assessment. New York: Guilford.
• Roberts, M. W., & Hope, D. A. (2001). Clinic observations of structured parent-child interaction designed to evaluate externalizing disorders. Psychological Assessment, 13, 46-58.
• Russ, Sandra Walker. Play in child development and psychotherapy: toward empirically supported practice / Sandra W. Russ.
• Shaffer, D., Lucas, C.P., & Richters, J.E. (1999). Diagnostic Interviewing in Child and Adolescent Psychopathology. New York: Guilford.
• Shaffer, D., Lucas, C. P., Richters, J.E. (Eds.) (1999). Diagnostic assessment in child and adolescent psychopathology. New York: Guilford Press.
• Sattler, JA. (1998). Clinical and forensic interviewing of children and families: guidelines for the mental health, education, pediatric, and child maltreatment fields, Jerome M. Sattler Inc, San Diego.
• Sattler, J.M. & Dumont, R. (2004). Assessment of Children: WISC-IV and WPPSI-III Supplement: La Mesa, CA: Jerome M. Sattler, Publisher, Inc.
• Sommers-Flannagan, J., & Sommers-Flannagan, R. (2009). Intake interviewing and report writing. In, Clinical Interviewing (pp. 175-212). New York: Wiley.
• Weisz, J.R., & McCarty, C.A. (1999). Can We Trust Parent Reports in Research on Cultural and Ethnic Differences in Child Psychopathology? Using the Bicultural Family Design to Test Parental Culture Effects. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 108(4), 598-605.
Средства за оценяване: