PSYE302 Psychological Inference
This course is designed to help students develop the conceptual background and practical skills necessary to critically evaluate the statistics encountered in their coursework and in the psychological literature, and to begin conducting statistical analysis of empirical data. The course includes exercises within the following areas: scales, graphic representations, central tendency and variability, probability, the normal distribution, standard scores, correlation, hypothesis testing, basic nonparametric techniques, analysis of variance, and basic experimental design.
доц. Димитър Атанасов д-р
гл. ас. Кирил Костов д-р
Описание на курса:
Students who complete this course:
1) will know:
• appropriate methods of statistical analysis depending on different experimental designs;
• common terminology in the analysis of psychological data;
• the fundamental logic behind statements and inferences from psychological data.
2) will be able to:
• carry out relevant analyses of data from psychological studies;
• present data and conclusions according to international standards;
• better understand and critically evaluate texts that contain data from psychological studies.
Good knowledge of high-school mathematics. Knowledge in statistics is welcome!
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
• Cumming G., Finch, S. (2005). Inference by eye. Confidence intervals and how to read pictures of data. American Psychologist, vol 60, 170-180.
• Goodwin, C. J. (2010). Research in psychology: Methods and design (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ, US: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
• Stout, W.F., Marden, J., Travers, K.J. (2000) Statistics: Making sense of data. Moebius, Rantoul.
Средства за оценяване:
• Homework assignments – 20%
• Midterm exam – 40%
• Final exam – 40%