MHRE416 Organizational Analysis, Design and Development
The course has a duration of 30 academic hours and encompasses different forms of study:
І. Individual work with training materials
• Work with scientific publications and printed sources.
• Work with electronic resources.
ІІ. Interactive group work: discussions, class assignments for understanding and skills development/improvement
• Problem-solving workshops for forming/development of professional skills.
• Group projects aiming at development of collaborative mindset and skills.
In the modern age of global economy and highly competitive environment, the various „intuitive“ forms of organizational structure are no longer effective. Although some companies are launched and survive for some time without adequate organizational design, in the long run they encounter challenges which are difficult to handle. The self-made manager may have great ideas but today he needs professional support from experts with advanced management know-how.
This course is meant to provide the students with basic knowledge of the various analytical tools which can be applied to different organizations in order to assess the strong assets of a company, the risks and opportunities for success in a specific business context.
Real-life examples will be discussed and case studies will be analyzed to help the students develop the requisite understanding and skills in organizational design and re-engineering to ensure successful development of the projects where they will be involved as business professionals.
The course aims at:
• Providing the students with adequate awareness of the challenges in a given organization in a dynamic environment which require knowledge of analytical tools.
• Guiding the student in mastering a toolbox of instruments to manage different kinds of organizational problems.
• Supporting the students to develop thorough understanding of organizational challenge where they can support the key stakeholders (shareholders and executive management) in solving specific issue which require expertise in organizational development.
доц. Мария Иванова д-р
Описание на курса:
Students should have the following knowledge and/or skills:
• English reading and writing skills.
• Computer skills (text processing, worksheets, internet and e-mail).
• Ability to use internet-based resources.
• The training is more effective if the students have a prior bachelor degree in economics, organizational psychology or another relevant subject which could be instrumental in developing a professional attitude.
• Prior knowledge and/or experience in teams involved in business assessment projects (such as due diligence) contributes significantly to better course outcomes.
After completing successfully this course the students will:
• The different organizational structures, with their advantages and shortcomings.
• The key elements and techniques in change management as a philosophy of business and as practical skills.
• How to apply the most popular analytical tools used in the assessment of organizations as a whole or specific aspects of the business.
• How to identify and plan interventions in the business organization to achieve the overall effectiveness of a company.
• How to integrate the various models of organizational development with specific aspects of the company operations (human resource management, finance management, etc.).
• The approaches which are acceptable when they have to act as internal consultants to the senior management.
2) are capable:
• To analyze different organizations in terms of a set of indicators depending on the ultimate objective of the analysis.
• To identify the advantages and limitations of the various analytical tools when applied to very dynamic business sectors.
• To perform organizational diagnosis in various components of the organization (statutory compliance, departmental effectiveness, internal communications and collaboration, human capital development, external communications).
• To identify critical points in the structure or management practice of an organization where interventions are indispensable.
• To identify and elaborate on potential business opportunities whose realization require organizational changes.
• To develop and propose specific solutions to the identified issues which require interventions aimed at organizational restructure and/or development.
• To support the senior management in aligning operational business changes with the ultimate mission and objectives of the company.
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
• Bridges, W. (2003). Managing Transitions. Making the most of Change, 2nd ed. Da Capo Press.
• Brown, D. R., Harvey, D. (2006). Experiential Approach to Organization Development (7th ed.), Pearson Prentice Hall.
• Burton, R. M., DeSanctis, G., & Obel, B. (2006). Organization design: A step-by-step approach. New York: Cambridge University Press.
• Cummings, T.G., & Worley, C.G. (2000). Organization Development and Change (7th ed.), West Publishing Co.
• Daft, R., D. (2013). Organization Theory and Design (11th ed.), Mason, OH: South-Western, Cengage Learning.
• Goold, M., & Campbell, A. (2002). Do you have a well-designed organization? Harvard Business Review, 80(3), 117-124.
• Jacques, E. (1999). Requisite organization: A total system for effective managerial organization and managerial leadership for the 21st century (2nd revised ed.). Gloucester, MA: Cason Hall.
• Rothwell, W. & Sullivan, R. (2005). Practicing Organizational Development: A Guide for Consultants (2nd ed.), Pfeiffer.
• Williams, T. C., & Rains, J. (2007). Linking strategy to structure: The power of systematic organization design. Organization Development Journal, 25(2), 163-170.
• An additional list of recent internet-based materials (updated every year).
• Additional materials supplied by the tutor upon expression of individual interest by any of the students.
Средства за оценяване:
The assessment of the practical assignment shall take account of the language proficiency, the professional approach and the originality of the presented ideas.