MHRE121 Project: Talent acquisition and workforce planning
Talent and workforce planning is a key aspect of the work of the specialists in human resource management. They should take into account the balance between:
1) the aspirations and expectations of individual candidates for the job,
2) the needs of the organization to maintain its own base of skills / competencies in order to develop the potential of their talents.
• To facilitate the understanding of the strategic role of HR for staffing and finding the "right people" for "the right job" and to implement an adequate process of assessment and selection.
• To develop the skills/ competencies necessary for planning the need for talents in order the organization to be able to achieve effective performance and to be competitive as well.
гл. ас. Мария Тумбева д-р
Описание на курса:
Students who successfully complete the course:
• The strategic role of HR staffing (planning the need for HR).
• The needs, motives and perspectives of different generations in the labor market
• Strategy, structure and content of the assessment - the assessment processes and the organizational structure, the process of evaluation and the design of the job
• What is the analysis of the position - what you need to assess? Strategic analysis of the position and future trends
• Equal opportunities policy - strategic issue for the process of assessment and selection
• Best practices and models of organization-specific competencies
Upon successful completion of the course students should be able:
• critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the methods for planning, recruitment and selection of HR;
• know and use a rich set of tools in the process of selection and assessment;
• evaluate the contribution of different selection methods for effective implementation;
• demonstrate an understanding of the entire selection process and its contribution to the organization;
• design and implement a system for recruitment and selection, adequate for the organization, for the positions, the labor market in accordance with best practices and law regulations.
Students should have knowledge and/ or skills in:
• English reading/ writing skills
• Computer skills (text-processing, worksheets, Internet and e-mail).
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
Bancheva, E. The process of selection and assessment of personnel SM-NBU, 2008,
Armstrong, M. (2006). A Handbook of HRM Practice. 10th ed. London: Kogan Page.
Caldwell, C., Thornton, G. C., & Gruys, M. (2003). Ten classic assessment center errors:
Challenges to selection validity. Public Personnel Management, 32(1), 73-88.
Cullen, M. J., & Sackett, P. R. (2004). Integrity testing in the workplace. In J. C. Thomas & M. Hersen (Eds.), Comprehensive handbook of psychological assessment, Volume 4: Industrial and organizational psychology (pp. 149-165). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
Hough, L. M., & Oswald, F. L. (2000). Personnel selection: Looking toward the future — remembering the past. Annual Review of Psychology, 51, 631-664.
Murphy, K. R., Cronin, B. E., & Tam, A. P. (2003). Controversy and consensus regarding the use of cognitive ability testing in organizations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(4), 660-671.
Pearn, M and Kandola, R (1993) Job analyses: A manager’s guide, 2nd edition, IPD: London
Randall, S. (1997) Managing Human Resources, New York University, South – Western College Publishing
Redman, T. and Wilkinson, A. (2001) Contemporary Human Resource Management, Prentice Hall
Schmidt, F. L., & Hunter, J. (2004). General mental ability in the world of work: Occupational attainment and job performance. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 86(1), 162-173
Testing and Assessment: An Employer's Guide to Good Practices. (2000). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Labour, Employment and Training Administration. Note: Article can be accessed at http://www.onetcenter.org/guides.html.
Tolley Harry, Wood R. (2005) How to Succeed at an Assessment Centre, Kogan Page
Woehr, D., & Winfred, A. (2003). The construct-related validity of assessment center ratings: A review and meta-analysis of the role of methodological factors. Journal of Management, 29(2), 231-258.
Средства за оценяване:
Assessment forms On-going Combined Final exam
Practical assignment 100% 100% 100%
Additional pre-conditions for forming the final score:
The student can automatically get rid of continuous assessment tests, if he/she has a positive result from a practical task (project) during the semester, delivered in Moodle platform of the -NBU. The relative weight is 100%.