OOOK019 Introduction to semiotics
With the course Introduction to semiotics the students are acquainted with the mechanisms of the contemporary overcommunicative culture. The material is delivered in an entertaining way with lots of video and multimedia. The course suits students from all study programs in NBU.
проф. Кристиан Банков д-р
гл. ас. Иво Ив. Велинов д-р
Описание на курса:
• the characteristic features of contemporary communicative culture and society based on knowledge and information ;
• to apply the semiotic method in explaining the various expressive systems of the arts
• about constructing our image in regard to others in communication and in everyday life
• recognize different types of communicative phenomena in contemporary cultural situations
• analyze texts from literature, the fine arts, cinema, theater, photography, media, politics and the internet
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
Банков, Кристиан (2001) Семиотични тетрадки част 1: Уводни лекции по семиотика, София: НБУ.
Банков, Кристиан (2004) Семиотични тетрадки част 2: Семиотика, памет, идентичност, София: НБУ.
Walton, Douglas (2007) Media argumentation, Cambridge University Press
Средства за оценяване:
Tests are carried out during the semester and are based on students’ active participation in class. Students’ participation is required for reviewing the material of the preceding lesson at the beginning of each class. Good formulations are registered by a (+) and an accumulation of more than three plusses will be accounted for by grade from “good 4” and higher. In addition, regular participation in discussing presented topics and cases, as well as participation in exercises contribute to the current grade.
Essays and papers on the given material may be submitted after the 20th lesson and are graded separately, according to the same criteria as the evaluations of the rest of the students after passing the last stage of the course, dedicated to teaching the requirements and standards for writing scientific texts.
Students with a good current grade based on a term paper, are exempt from the exam at the end of the semester. Students with a good grade due to their participation in class take an easier variant of the exam.
Students who are unable to attend classes must submit a paper before the end of the semester and subsequently take an exam on the studied material.