TRSM201 Семинар: Преводачи и преводачески агенции
For a translator, there is always a dilemma whether to work (1) for translation agencies, (2) as staff translators/interpreters, or (3) simply just work as a freelance translator/interpreter.
Similarly, businesses that need translation or localization services have several choices: hire in-house teams, send to freelance contractors, or work with a translation services company. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages; what works for one company may not work for another. It all depends on the business’ specific needs and requirements.
This practical seminar will look at these options for translators/interpreters and their benefits and disadvantages, especially as regards pay and professional development.
In the course of this seminar, students will have the opportunity to visit a translation agency in Sofia and also meet with freelance and staff translators/interpreters.
доц. Борис Наймушин д-р
Описание на курса:
Upon successful completion of the course a student will:
• be aware how translation agencies work
• be prepared to start their career as a freelance translator/interpreter
• know what it means to be staff translator/interpreter
• Language B proficiency at B2 level.
• Computer literacy
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
• Lucja Biel, Ph.D. Working for Translation Agencies as a Freelancer: A Guide for Novice Translators. Translation Journal, Volume 12, No. 2, April 2008 http://www.bokorlang.com/journal/44freelancer.htm .
• Samuelsson-Brown, G. 2004. A Practical Guide for Translators. 4th Ed. Multilingual Matters..
• Sofer, M. 2006. The Translator's Handbook. 6th Ed. Schreiber Publishing.
• Practical guide for professional conference interpreters. AIIC, 1990. http://aiic.net/page/628/practical-guide-for-professional-conference-interpreters/lang/1
• Applying For Translation Work - A Guide For The Freelancer. By: Nigel Massey. http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/translation/articles/apply-freelance-work.html
• ITI's guide: Getting started--Translation: http://www.iti.org.uk/pdfs/newPDF/05FH_IntoTrans_(20-10-04).pdfb
• ITI's How to get money working freelance for translation companies: http://www.iti.org.uk/pdfs/newPDF/08FHMakeMoney_(20-10-04).pdf
• Special Report for Translators. Customers--Make Life Easy for Them and They'll Stay with You by Alex EAMES: http://www.translatortips.net/freerep/freerep.pdf
• FIT Charter: http://www.fit-ift.org/en/charter.php
• Why work with a Translation Services Company? http://advancedlanguage.com/clients/education-center/why-work-with-a-translation-services-company/