South-East European Studies
Short presentation of the programme:
South-East European Studies is a programme in the Humanities field with an emphasis on the history of South-East Europe. The education in Humanities is one of the oldest and most essential academic fields worldwide, and the problems of politics, economy, religion, historical demography and culture of this field are some of the most relevant and discussed in our times. The interdisciplinary and comparative nature of the program allows students to acquire advanced knowledge and skills to analyse key issues such as multi-national and multi-religious coexistence, ethnic tolerance/intolerance, geopolitics, patterns of interaction power – society, democratic and dictatorial regimes, society and war, family and gender, tradition and modernization and more, at both the macro level and in their concrete and specific regional dimensions.
The programme thus combines the possibilities to obtain in-depth theoretical knowledge with extensive practical relevance on key and debatable issues of the historical development of South-East Europe, and offers pragmatically oriented professional education, and gives the students who have completed the programme competitive edge in the job market at home and abroad.
The programme is taught entirely in English. Its content and structure are in accordance with the philosophy of the NBU, and with the established international educational standards.
Major and professional qualification:
Qualification: MA in History
Practical training courses:
The program offers internships and training courses in libraries and archives of the New Bulgarian University, the National Library Sts. Cyril and Methodius and the State Agency of Archives, as well as field studies and practical training in situ with the cultural and historical heritage of the region.
Graduate Student Competencies:
-Theoretical historical knowledge in depth of the political, cultural, economic, religious, demographic and social developments in South-East Europe;
- Knowledge of the most significant contemporary authors and schools dealing with key issues in South-East Europe in the past and present;
- Knowledge of the historical development, the role and the current state of the religions, and of the religious, ethnic and national communities in South-East Europe;
- Skills in team work and conducting of scientific discussion;
- Skills in preparing of independent scientific and expert work and their presentation;
- The graduates of the master program can apply to doctoral programs in English without having to certify further their knowledge of English;
- Graduates of the program have the opportunity to acquire basic knowledge in their chosen Balkan language and to receive a certificate for its mastery.
The completion of the Master program is by a Master's thesis defence upon obtaining the required number of credits.
The method and conditions of completion are in accordance with the Standards for completion of Master Degree at the NBU.