HSEM101 Geography and Geopolitics of South-East Europe
GEOGRAPHY AND GEOPOLITICS OF SOUTH-EAST EUROPE
COURSE ANNOTATION AND AIMS:
• This course is designed not only to give the students a firm grasp of some of the major facts and trends in the historical development, structure and functioning of the political systems of Great Britain and the United States, but also to analyze and appreciate them individually and in a creative mode;
• The course is focused on the peculiarity and unique character of the political systems of Great Britain and the United States, on the one hand, and on their formative influences on democratic regimes throughout the world, on the other.
проф. Румен Генов д-р
Описание на курса:
After completing successfully this course the students will:
• Major facts and trends in the historical development, structure and functioning of the political systems of Great Britain and the United States
• Formative influences of the political systems of Great Britain and the United States on democratic regimes throughout the world.
2) are capable of::
• Comparative analysis of political systems in the contemporary world;
• Individual research in field of political systems (in the specific case, and in global terms)
• No stated prerequisites for this course
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
Bideleux, Robert and Ian Jeffries. The Balkans: A Post-Communist History New edition. London : Routledge; 2006.
Crampton, R. J. Bulgaria, 1878-1918 : A History. Boulder, Colo. : East European Monographs, 1983.
Crampton, R. J. The Revolutions of 1989 in Eastern Europe. University of Ulster, 1990.
Crampton, Richard and Crampton, Ben (Eds.) Atlas of Eastern Europe in the Twentieth Century. London : Routledge, 1996.
Crampton, R. J. Eastern Europe in the Twentieth Century and After. London ; New York : Routledge, 1997.
Crampton, R. J. The Balkans since the Second World War. London : Longman, 2002.
Crampton, R. J. Bulgaria. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2007.
Crampton, R. J. Aleksandu?r Stambolii?ski, Bulgaria. London : Haus Pub., 2009.
Gerolymatos, Andre. The Balkan Wars: Conquest, Revolution and Retribution from the Ottoman Era to the Twentieth Century and Beyond. Basic Books, 2003.
Glenny, Misha. The Balkans, 1804 – 2012 : Nationalism, War and the Great Powers (2012)
Mazower, Mark. The Balkans : Nationalism, War, and the Great Powers, 1804-1999. New York : Viking ; London : Penguin, 2000, c1999.
Okey, Robin. Eastern Europe, 1740-1980 : Feudalism to Communism. London : Hutchinson, 1982.
Okey, Robin. The Demise of Communist East Europe : 1989 in Context. London : Arnold, 2004.
Roucek, Joseph S. The Geopolitics of the Balkans. - The American Journal of Economics and Sociology
Vol. 5, No. 3 (Apr., 1946), pp. 365-377.
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3483498
Tzvetkov, Plamen S. A History of the Balkans : A Regional Overview from a Bulgarian Perspective. Vol 1-2. San Francisco : EM Text, 1993.
Wachtel, Andrew. The Balkans in World History. Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2008. (New Oxford World History)
Средства за оценяване:
CONTROL DURING THE SEMESTER:
Test - 30 %
Participation in seminars - 20 %
Term paper - 50 %