POLS137 The Uses of Political Economy
" The course is designed with the aim of providing the students with a vantage point in terms of the different approaches to the study of the political economy (PE) discipline. During the course the students are given the opportunity to familiarize with the analytical framework and tools necessary for the further pursuit of the study of PE, as well as, to understand the basics of the current scientific debate in the respective scientific field.
гл. ас. Кирил Аврамов д-р
Описание на курса:
After completing successfully this course the students will:
" To understand and deal with basic concepts and instruments pertaining to the field of PE.
" To distinguish between the main schools of thought and differentiate the current scientific debate in the respective field.
2) are capable of::
" Can use the internalized scientific instruments in the process of analyzing practical cases connected to the fields of IPE and IR.
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Литература по темите:
1. Alfred Stepan, The State and Society: Peru in Comparative Perspective (1978) and Conformist Theories," World Politics XXI (Oct. 1968-June 1969),
2. Douglas North, Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance Economics," American Economic Review, 92 (3), June 2002, pages 460-501
3. Frederich Hayek, Individualism and Economic Order, University of Chicago Press, 1948
4. Gary Becker, The Economic Approach to Human Behavior, chs. 1,8,12, 13
5. Isaiah Berlin, "Two Concepts of Liberty," in Four Essays on Liberty
6. John Harsanyi, "Rational-Choice Models of Political Behavior vs. Functionalist and Conformist Theories" World Politics XXI (Oct. 1968-June 1969).
7. Joseph E. Stiglitz, "Information and the Change in the Paradigm in Karl Polanyi, The Great Transformation
8. Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom, pages 1-55, 108-137, 161-190 Perspectives, 8 (1) pages 45-54
9. Robert Solow, "Perspectives on Growth Theory," Journal of Economic
10. Thomas Kuhn, Structure of Scientific Revolutions, 1996
Средства за оценяване:
FORMS OF EVALUATION CURRENT CONTROL COMBINED EVALUATION
TEST 50 % CURRENT CONTROL 50%
WRITTEN ASINGMENT 50%
PORTFOLIO PORTFOLIO (FINAL EXAM) 50% 50%
ORAL EXAM 50%