POLS338 Практика: Политически партии
Freedom, Individuality, Leadership
COURSE ANNOTATION AND AIMS:
The aim of the Course is for students to master the basic concepts and skills, related to freedom, equality, rule of law and leadership legitimacy, as well as to master the main concepts related to the construction and maintenance of individual identity.
проф. Евгений Дайнов д-р
Описание на курса:
After completing successfully this course the students will:
The main theories, concepts and approaches related to freedom, equality, rule of law, individual and group identity and the functions of legitimate leadership .
2) be capable of:
Analysing situations in terms of freedom, equality, rule of law and legitimate leadership, recognise risks of deficient identity construtcion, effectively engagte in identity construction and maintenance.
3) job opportunities, according to the National Register of Jobs and Positions in the Republic of Bulgaria:
- Specialists and expert (mid- to senior level) in international organizations such as UN, Council of Europe, OSCE, NATO.
- Experts in the institutions of the European Union
- Experts and consultants in international NGOs
- Specialists in the social sciences
- Teachers and lecturers in colleges and other schools
- Diplomatic staff
- Specialists (analytical and control functions) in administrations
- Journalists and editors.
English language – level C1
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
Freedom and equality: Aristotle and political power
Freedom and rule of law: Rome and Cicero
Freedom as libertas: the Middle Ages
Freedom and the individual: John S. Mill
Individual and social freedom: Isaiah Berlin, Erich Fromm
Individual and modern society: 19th century
Individuals and masses: 20th century
Reconstruction of the individual: 21st century – 1
Reconstruction of the individual: 21st century – 2
Seminar / Presentation
The individual as leader
The group as a team
Литература по темите:
Aristotle. Politics; Ethics
Marcus Aurelius. Meditations
John S. Mill. On Freedom
Roger Scruton. The West and the Rest.
Roger Osborne. Civilization.
John A. Hall. Powers & Liberties.
Isaiah Berlin. Two concepts of Liberty
Erich Fromm. Fear of Freedom
Charles Taylor. Sources of the Self.
Amartya Sen. Identity and Viloence
Bogdan Bogdanov. Separately and Together
Средства за оценяване:
PAPER CASE 50 %