POLS302 Представително управление
COURSE ANNOTATION AND AIMS:
The course aims to teach in depth the origin, purpose and function of representative democracy. Particular emphasis is placed upon the problems faced by thr representative democracy in the era of globalization and expanding citizen participation.
проф. Антоний Тодоров д.н.
Описание на курса:
After completing successfully this course the students will:
- Key concepts and principles of representative democracy.
- Roots and perspectives of representative controls.
- The importance of representation in a democratic state.
2) are able to:
- Analyze and evaluate the sources, purposes and ideas of representative democracy.
- To develop civic skills for active participation in the democratic process.
3) job opportunities, according to the National Register of Jobs and Positions in the Republic of Bulgaria:
- Experts in social and related sciences and humanities.
- Teachers in universities, colleges and other academic schools.
- Journalists and editors.
Students should know and/or be able to: a minimum of knowledge of modern history with social and political perspective
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
1. Objectives and functions of representative democracy
2. Emergence of representative democracy and representation
3. Representative government and political parties
4. Aristocratic period at the dawn of democracy
5. Mass parties and the parliamentary crisis management: Weimar
6. Rationalized parliamentarism: Schmidt against Kelzen
7. Postwar Europe and constitutional democracy
8. Representation and corporatism
9. Political Finance and the problems of representation
10. Cartelization, etatization and representation
11. Populism as a response to cartelzation
12. Representative Democracy in Eastern Europe
13. The future of representative democracy
14. Seminar debate topic
15. Seminar debate topic
Литература по темите:
Isaiah Berlin. Four Essays on Liberty
Edmund Burke. Reflections on the French Revolution
Zbigniew Bzezinski. Grand Failure: The Birth and Death of Communism in the Twentieth Century
Robert Conquest. Reflections on a Ravaged Century.
Norman Davies. Europe. A History.
The Declaration of Independence.
Jard Diamond. Collapse. How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.
Francis Fukuyama. The End of History and the Last Man.
Francis Fukuyama. On Trust.
Vasil Garnizov et al. The Government and the People. Conflicts in Bulgarian Society.
Ernest Gellner. Encounters with Nationalism.
Paul Johnson. History of the English People.
Paul Johnson. History of the American People.
Samuel Huntington. Clash of Civilizations?
Thomas Hobbes. Leviathan.
Henry Kissinger. Diplomacy
Wojciech Kosteski et al. Transformations of Post-Communist States.
Abraham Lincoln. The Gettysburg Address.
John Locke. Two Treatises on Government.
J.S.Mill. On Liberty. On Representative Government.
Barrack Obama. The Audacity of Hope (+ Zbigniew Bzezinski: The Hope of Audacity).
Ronald Reagan. Diaries.
Richard Rorty. Philosophy and Social Hope.
Bertrand Russell. History of Western Philosophy
George Schopflin. Politics in Eastern Europe.
George Schopflin et al. The Re-Unification of Europe
Roger Scruton. A Political Philosophy.
Amartya Sen. Identity and Violence.
Amartya Sen. Rationality and Freedom
Charles Taylor. The Malaise of Modernity.
Charles Taylor. Multiculturalism.
Margaret Thatcher. Statecraft.
Fareed Zakaria. The Future of Freedom.
Средства за оценяване:
CONTROL DURING THE SEMESTER:
PARTICIPATION IN SEMINARS - 25 %
COURSE WORK/PROJECT - 25 %
ESSAY - 50%