PSYE209 Мозък и поведение - І част
The Course PSYE 209 “Brain and behaviour, part 1” acquaints the students with the anatomy and functions of the main structures of the human nervous system. Discussed are the main divisions of the nervous system and their functions. The structure and physiology of a single neuron is also presented. Finally, the structure and functions of each of the four brain lobes is discussed.
доц. Маргарита Станкова д-р
проф. Ивайло Търнев д.н.
гл. ас. Иво Попиванов д-р
Описание на курса:
Students who successfully completed the course will:
1) have knowledge about the structure of the major elements of the human nervous system. The mechanisms of functioning of these structures. The key methods for examining the brain structure and function.
2) be able to link the major brain structure with their key functions.
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
1. Object of the human anatomy and physiology. Methods of examination of anatomy and physiology. Introduction to the nervous system anatomy and physiology. (Lecture)
2. Nervous system. General divisions of the nervous system. Central nervous system 1. Main structures in the brain – anatomy and function. Midbrain and Hindbrain. (Lecture and practical work)
3. Central nervous system 2. Forebrain – major fissures and gyri. (Lecture and practical work)
4. Spinal cord – structure and functions. Peripheral nervous system 1. Reflex arc and reflex activity. Most common disorders of the peripheral neves. (Lecture and practical work)
5. Peripheral nervous system 2. Cranial nerves. Sensory, motor and sensori-motor nerves. Most common disorders of the cranial nerves. (Lecture and practical work)
6. Autonomic nervous system – structure and functions. Simpathetic and parasympathetic autonomic system. The most frequent manifestation of autonomic nervous system disorders. (Lecture with discussion)
7. Seminar: Main divisions of the Nervous system (Seminar and practical work)
8. Test on topics 1-7
9. The neuron – a main structural and physiological entity of the nervous system. Physiology on single neuron level. Neuron signalling (Lecture)
10. Cellular structure of the brain cortex. Brain cortex – occipital lobe. (Lecture with discussion)
11. Brain cortex – temporal lobe. (Lecture with discussion)
12. Brain cortex – parietal lobe. (Lecture with discussion)
13. Brain cortex – frontal lobe. (Lecture with discussion)
14. Seminar. Brain structures of the forebrain. (Seminar and practical work)
15. Test on topics 9-14
Литература по темите:
Pinel, J.P.J (2014). Biopsychology. 9-th edition, Pearson Education Inc.
Ross, J. (2012). Nervous System, 4-th edition crash course, Mosby, Elsevier
Kiernan, J.A., & Rajakumar, N. (2014). Barr's the Human Nervous System: an Anatomical Viewpoint, 10-th edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Passingham, R. (2008). What is special about the human brain? Oxford Psychology Series
Kolb, B. & Whishaw, I.Q. (2009). Fundamentals of human neuropsychology. Sixth edition
Средства за оценяване:
Two tests during the semester and a presentation during one of the seminars.