PSYE101 Изследователски методи в психологията - I част
This is a course introducing various research methods in psychology. Basic concepts and methods for conducting psychological research are presented. Major part of the course is devoted to the experimental method (within- and between-subjects design, one-factor experiments, factorial designs). Non-experimental methods are also covered during the course. The course also covers topics such as ethics of research, procedures for conducting research, etc. Students are involved in exercises and training on the basis of example cases. There is a lot of practice on designing experiments.
гл. ас. Евгения Христова д-р
Описание на курса:
After completing successfully this course the students will
• The main research methods in psychology
• The basic concepts in experiemental research
• The basic experimental designs – advantages and disadvantages
2) be able to:
• desing one-factor and two-factor experiments
• discuss and critically analyze psychological studies
Форми на провеждане:
Език, на който се води курса:
Теми, които се разглеждат в курса:
1 Psychology as a science
2 Theories and Hypotheses. Operational definition of variables.
3 Measurements in psychology. Reliability and validity of measurements.
4 Descriptive statistics. Training on data collected during the class.
5 Descriptive research. Correlational research.
6 Experimental studies. Independent and dependent variables. Confounding variables.
7 Test - Intermediate exam 1
8 Experimental designs – between-subjects, within-subjects design. Control and randomization.
9 Training on experimental designs.
10 Ethics of research.
11 Experimental design on a predefined topic. – Intermediate exam 2
12 Factorial designs. Main effects and interactions.
13 Training on factorial designs.
14 Quasi-experimental research. Longitudinal studies.
15 Factorial designs: case studies. – Intermediate exam 3
Литература по темите:
• Cozby, P., Bates, S. (2011). Methods in behavioral research. McGraw-Hill.
• Stanovich, K. (2012). How To Think Straight About Psychology. Pearson.
• Kantowitz, B. H., Roediger III, H. L. Elmes, D. G., (2008). Experimental Psychology. Wadsworth Publishing
• Gottsdanker R, (1982) Experimenting in Psychology, Englewood Cliffts, NJ, Prentice Hall
• Solso R., H. Johnson (1989) An Introduction to Experimental Design in Psychology. A Case Approach, Harper & Row Publishers, NY
Средства за оценяване:
- Test – 30 %
- Experimental design (in class) – 40 %
- Case study – factorial design – 30 %